you resource for all things shoegaze & dream pop.

26 December 2012

My Bloody Valentine Finish Mastering New Album.


My Bloody Valentine Finish Mastering New Album
Here's a Christmas surprise: 
My Bloody Valentine announced recently on their Facebook page, "On 21-12-12 we finished mastering the new album!" So even if the world didn't end that day, something pretty momentous happened.

We still don't have any release information about the full-length follow to MBV's 1991 shoegaze masterpiece, Loveless.

As Kevin Shields recently told NME, the record will apparently be released via the MBV website, followed by an EP of new recordings next year. Shields said the new record "really frees us up, and in the bigger picture it's 100% necessary."

"People who like us will immediately connect with something," he told NME. "Based on the very, very few people who've heard stuff-- some engineers, the band, and that's about it-- some people think it's stranger than Loveless. I don't."

As bassist Debbie Googe told Drowned in Sound, Shields plays most of the music on the album himself.  "Most of it is stuff Kevin has done, certainly guitar wise. It's been a long process, you know," she said. "The drums have been added then taken off at least once. His brother did them at one point, then Colm [O'Ciosoig] came in and redid them. There's some things Kevin can't do, like the drums or Bilinda [Butcher]'s vocals, but everything else he can, and I'm certainly happy for him to do that."

In April, Shields spoke with Pitchfork about MBV's recent reissuesOf the new LP, he said:

"I'm just finishing a record that I had started in the 90s. It was going to be, like, the next record. But it was already after the band had half split up, and me and Bilinda [Butcher] were left. Then we got back together. I've always said that we were going to make a record again. You never know, we might finish it really quickly, and it might be up in a few months! I tend to work really quickly, suddenly, and I might be willing to do that right now. We'll see!"
(Taken from Pitchfork)